Thursday, June 20, 2013

334: 6x1 Summer 2013 (My Ratings)



This class has most certainly been a great learning experience for me. Starting at UNCW this term, I never imagined I would actually have as much fun as I did while learning at the same time. I’ve been in college for (too long) about four years now (give or take) and this was the best class I have ever had (and probably will ever have…as I can’t imagine a class better than this). The assignments were all great in their own ways, so rating them is difficult for me…so, trying my best, least to greatest:

6. Media Fast: This was my least favorite ONLY because I felt the video we made could have been so much better. While I had a fun time making it, I don’t think we, as a group, thought a lot of things through…and as it was one of our first assignments, I feel we might have slacked a little on it. If I could go back, I’d make sure we really sat down and brainstormed an idea that we all felt was right for the topic and then worked diligently to create a better video.

5. Cameraless Film Manipulation: I loved this as a first assignment. It was interesting and different than any project I ever thought I would work on. Looking back, I enjoyed the later assignments more (only because there was more work put into them) but I still appreciate the opportunity to experience film in a different and much more hands on way.

4. 3D Anaglyph: I had a lot of fun creating the set out of cardboard for this one. I also loved the idea of Film Noir…a 3D Film Noir. I just felt our group was a little too big for a typical generic Film Noir plot, leaving people in the group with very little to do when it came to shooting day. Other than that, I believe it came out really well and I loved the different soundscapes each group made, (the British Humour one was awesome with references to Arrested Development) which created a different story in itself each time. I’m sure if we were to do it again, we’d make sure there was more of a storyline in the footage itself, rather than depend on the music to speak for us.

3. Crowdsourcing: This assignment was very interesting to me. I really enjoyed recreating the media fast video frames; I didn’t really know how good it would look until I saw it on screen tonight. It looked fantastic. I did have trouble with it though. For the animation part, at first, I had NO idea what to do for it. So I decided I would draw a very detailed version of the Joker on one monitor…and then Harley on the next…well…that got tedious. And I was tired of the detailed drawings after just one frame. So, I decided I would tone it down, make them disappear and have something else appear…and in the end, It think that turned out really well. I actually took a quick video of it myself on Vine, just to see what the frames would look like when played, and I was happy with the result. This assignment was a very fun one & I love the idea of everyone putting in their own efforts, in their own way to create something for the same project.

2. Bolex Long Take: I loved this assignment. It was the perfect last project to work on. I really enjoyed getting to learn and work with the Bolex camera. And the water balloon fight that ensued during our take was an added bonus. I believe my group did a great job at using our time wisely to block and rehearse the take so that it’d be perfect for when the camera was rolling. All in all, it was an enjoyable time shooting, producing, and basically presenting with a secondary sensory element – which turned out to be cooler than we even expected.


1. Multi-plane Animation: This assignment was my most favorite simply because I learned the most from it. Shooting was a very fun time, even though it was tedious and my group was the last to finish, I think we somehow managed to get a semi-well-put-together story without having planned anything before the actual day of the shoot. We just brought legos & random things and the outcome of it, in my opinion, was awesome. It took a lot of patience to move those lego guys one. Step. At. A. Time. But, it was definitely worth it. Creating the sound part was where I learned the most, however. I’ve never used premiere before (and am only vaguely familiar with the video editing process) but, thanks to a lot of help from P.J. I was able to locate various sounds and music and insert it into the video…and I was quite happy with how it turned out. All in all, this project was the most time consuming, during shooting & editing, thus, I appreciate it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment