Thursday, May 23, 2013

Synesthesia & Cymatics

When I first heard of Synesthesia explained in class, I immediately thought back to my childhood. All my life I've associated numbers with having their own sort of personality...I made a lot of associations between a lot of different things as a child, for seemingly no reason at all; perhaps it just helped me to learn my numbers & alphabet better. Though, I wouldn't call define myself as a Synesthesic. And I'd never be able to explain the way my mind works in the way Daniel Tammet is able to explain how differently he sees the world. I was so excited to see that we were to watch a Ted Talks video featuring Daniel. Several years ago I heard about his book, Born on a Blue Day, and borrowed it from the library, eager to read it. I realized we had something in common; something I always thought was a normal thing. But the way Daniel's mind works is so much more extravagant. The way he can work numbers and solve math problems is way beyond my own comprehension. It is incredible. Speaking of incredible...

I love that there is a study of something like Cymatics. Being able to SEE SOUND. And the fact that there are people creating a lexicon (using Cymatics) of dolphin sounds...so that we one day may be able to understand what they're saying and thinking...it's crazy but at the same time, extraordinary.

Linking back to how this relates to our class, we all saw how the projector picked up the markings created by our magazine transfer loop. I didn't know what was happening while we were watching...I thought I was hearing notes & it was very eerie. I had no idea that sort of phenomena could occur but it was very interesting to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment